Athirapally waterfalls is one of the biggest waterfalls in India standing at a height of 82 feet. This post says about places near Athirapally waterfalls which you should not miss.
Athirapally falls is situated in Thrissur district, Kerala within a distance of 31kms from Chalakudy town. The spectacular falls is a treat on its own, but there are a few other attractions you can visit while at Athirapally.
Read about our visit to Athirapally falls here – A day at a tropical wonderland
The Vazhachal waterfalls originate from the Chalakudy river and is just 5 km from Athirapally falls. The milky white falls are a beautiful sight at an elevation of 390 feet.
You can use the same ticket purchased from Athirapally falls to enter the Vazhachal Falls.
The drive from Athirapally to Vazhachal falls is mostly through forest area making it even more memorable. Its the last check post towards Malakappara-Tamil Nadu.
2. Thumboormuzhi Dam and Hanging bridge
The Tumboormuzhi dam is situated at 16 km from Chalakudy and 14 km before Athirapally Falls. It is maintained as a beautiful garden with a check dam and a butterfly garden.
The check dam is mainly used for irrigation purpose in Chalakudy area. You can visit the hanging bridge which is the main attraction at Thumboormuzhi.
3. Sholayar Penstock Pipe View Point (Poringalkuthu Hydroelectric power station)
The Penstock Pipes are the part of the Sholayar Hydroelectric project situated at Poringalkuthu power station.
Even though it is not promoted as a tourist destination, you can still catch an awesome view! This viewpoint is located 20 km after Vazhachal falls towards Malakappara.
This spot requires a drive through the forest area and hence a permit from the Forest check post at Vazhachal falls.
4. Charpa Waterfalls
The Charpa falls is located 2 km from the Athirapally waterfalls and is located in between Athirapally and Vazhachal Waterfalls. During monsoon season, the falls are seen at its best and often pouring on to the roads.
This map shows the following destinations in order while traveling from Chalakudy. Each destination is marked as halt points.
- Thumboormuzhi Gardens
- Athirapally Waterfalls
- Charpa Waterfalls
- Vazhachal Waterfalls
- Poringalkuthu power station penstock pipe viewpoint
HOW TO REACH
- Nearest Railway Station: Chalakudy, 32kms
- Nearest Airport: Cochin International Airport, 46kms
- Most of these places near Athirapally falls are under the Kerala Forest Department, so you can expect an encounter with wildlife. So drive carefully and respect the nature.
- The checkpost at Vazhachal opens at 6 am and closes at 6 pm. Make sure to plan your trip accordingly.
- Bikes with modified silencers are not allowed entry in the forest area.
- Try not to feed the animals.
- You can use the same ticket purchased at Athirapally waterfalls to enter the Vazhachal falls as well.
- Be sure to buy your tickets (Rs.15/person) at Thumboormuzhi dam.
- To book the best resorts near Athirapally Waterfalls at best prices : Click here
Loved this article?? Share this article to your friends and family who loves to travel. Don’t forget to subscribe our newletters to get it directly to inbox using the form below! See you around.